This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot Add Reference either to WP7.1 or WP8

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I am try to develop a Windows Phone App. I tried creating both WP7.1 and WP8 projects and try to reference your dll.

I keep getting this error whenever i try to add reference your dlls (WatTmdb.dll - V0.5).

"A reference to a higher or incompatible assembly cannot be added to a project"

Is there something i am missing?? Please help

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2012 at 4:15 AM

There's a separate download for use with Windows Phone projects, available from the Downloads tab...file to reference is WatTmdb.WindowsPhone.dll.

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Edited Dec 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Thanks for help. I somehow was missed that  :P. I downloaded the source code and built one meanwhile.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2012 at 6:24 AM

It sounds like the async calls are what's affecting your app. You have no guarantee on the order of responses for requests, so potentially the response for GetNowPlayingMovies could arrive before the response for GetConfiguration.

Given that you'd need the tmdbConfig throughout your app it might be worth storing it as a static in the "App" class, and request it in the Application_Launching method. Then you can access it from any View you create. The trick is how can you ensure that you have the tmdbConfig before you make any subsequent calls which require it...and to not hold up the main UI thread, which isn't a good idea.
I might makes some changes to the sample project to show how I've dealt with this problem of synchronous methods in the past. Will attached to this discussion thread.
Cheers,
Craig
[edit] seems you can't attach anything here...guess I'll load into the main downloads area instead.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Have committed some changes to the Windows Phone sample, available from the Source Code area.  Hope it helps more than confuses.  I'm not a Windows Phone dev so what I've done probably isn't best practice...it's just how I've handled the async problem when playing with WP in the past.