This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

language effect

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I have spotted a curious effect when using the language parameter - I assume it is not deliberate - but not sure whether it is an issue for the library or the TMDb API or just conceivably a database content issue.

Example: Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone had an original title of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on original UK release. So, not too surprisingly, with a language parameter of 'en', SearchMovie does not find the latter title. Fair enough (although it would have been nice if the search had checked against both title and original_title). If I change the language parameter to 'en-gb' then the search does find the UK title. Fine. But if I then do a GetMovieInfo with en-gb I am missing certain fields - notably overview and runtime (there may be more but I haven't checked yet) - which are populated if language is 'en'.

Weird. Any ideas?

Jon
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I believe this to be a database content issue. The library can only pass on the content the TMDb API returns.

I tested the search method with "Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone" using languages of null, "en", and "en-gb", and all three returned the same single result. Not sure why I got a result for "en" when you didn't. Possibly something to do with caching. TMDb forums have many posts related to language and caching.

Not sure what you can do regarding the missing movie information for "en-gb". Again this data must be missing in the TMDb database, not that you can see it's missing when viewing the movie in themoviedb.org. Might need to post this question to the TMDb forum highlighting the differences between en and en-gb for this movie id 671 and how to fix. Viewing the results of the following calls through Fiddler2 I can see that homepage, overview, runtime, and tagline are missing.

http://api.themoviedb.org/3/movie/671?api_key=<apikey>&language=en
http://api.themoviedb.org/3/movie/671?api_key=<apikey>&language=en-gb

Craig